The Cavendish School took its first pupils in 1959, but it did not move into its new buildings until 1961.
The school was to be called The Hemel Hempstead Technical Grammar School but its first Headmaster, Arthur Hayward, decided to rename it The Cavendish School because it had particularly impressive science laboratories for that time and he wanted to link the school to the famous Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge.
||The School opened on 8th September 1959
in the buildings of the Warners End School (now J F Kennedy School)
with 72 students and 5 staff including the founder Headmaster, Mr
Newspaper article on school opening
The first summer youth hostelling expedition
for the entire First year.
|| In September, school began in half-completed buildings on the present
site. As the 200th post-war Hertfordshire school, it offered exceptional
facilities including an indoor heated swimming pool and special provision
for science, nine science laboratories, and technical subjects. The
buildings, which were carefully laid out on a very accurate grid system,
were regarded as the finest school buildings of the time and they
were studied by visitors from all over the world.
In March, Sir David Eccles, Minister of Education, visited the school,
and in June the school was officially opened by Professor Sir Nevill
Mott, Cavendish Professor of Physics in the University of Cambridge.
The School was featured on BBC television.
||All the boys went to Twickenham to see
Head Boy, Leonard Heron, captain England Schools Rugby XV.
Cavendish Players presented their first production, "The Rocket
Man" by Jenkins and Brinkworth.
||The School Under 16 rugby team reached
the final of the Welsh Sevens Tournament at Llanelly.
||Sixth Form Centre established at The Lockers.
First Sixth Form Leavers' Dinner was held.
School Community Service programme introduced and the first of many
Cavendish students selected for Voluntary Service Overseas.
||School linked to Hatfield Polytechnic computer.
Drama production "Pigmalion" went on tour to Germany.
Tenth anniversary trees planted by Sir William Hayter, Warden of New
||Mott house founded to accommodate increased
number of students. BBC recorded programme on computer work
|| Cavendish won the overall trophy at the District
Athletic Championships for the eighth successive year.
||Brass band toured Norway and appeared on
||Work experience introduced for all fifth
Under 16 boys won National Basketball Championship.
Sixth Form student awarded the Royal Geographical Society National
Prize for the best 'A' Level Geographer of the Year.
||Miss Jackie Wainwright captained the Great
Britain Basketball team at the Olympic Games.
School orchestras, band and choir record "The Sound of Cavendish".
||Under 19 girls won National Basketball
Cavendish claimed All England Athletics Championship for fourth successive
Brass band on BBC radio.
||The School's own microcomputer heralded
a new age.
National awards for silversmithing.
||The Rt Hon Mark Carlisle, Secretary of
State for Education, visited the School to mark its 21st Anniversary.
||Accommodation expanded into Gade Valley
||Secretary of State, Sir Keith Joseph, visits
||Donation of word processing equipment from
Rank-Xerox; development of computer centre.
||Formed merger with The Halsey School, new
building project starts.
Opening of the McDonnell Douglas Library Computer System.
Mrs Hazel Bessadone (Mayor)
Mr Ian Denholm (McDonnell Douglas)
||School divided between sites as building project gets
||School reassembles on one site and takes expanded intake
of 192 students.